Discover the refreshing and nourishing magic of our keto collard green smoothie recipe. Packed with superfoods, polyphenols, healthy fats, and vibrant flavors, this drink isn’t just an energy booster—it’s a taste sensation. Whether you’re a smoothie aficionado or trying something new, we hope you will love this superfood green concoction as much as we do!
How the best collard green smoothie was born
While I’ve typically shied away from smoothies, this particular concoction has turned me into a believer.
Superfoods have always intrigued me, but their price tags often gave me pause. However, I recently decided to invest in some key superfoods—spirulina, maca powder, and Lion’s Mane. The result? A collard greens smoothie packed with superfoods that I can confidently declare as the best I’ve ever tasted.
This recipe isn’t just a casual endeavor. I’m genuinely interested in its potential health benefits. In fact, I was in training at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition when I got the inspiration to make this smoothie.
Unless you have specific dietary constraints or medications to consider, I highly recommend giving this drink a whirl. After a sip, I felt invigorated—as if I drank the ocean, forest, and sun.
The energy, clarity, and nourishment it provided were palpable.
I’ve been aiming to streamline my cooking routines without sacrificing nutrition or flavor – hence my interest in nutritionally dense smoothies.
I had a vision for this smoothie, but I must admit, I had reservations about how avocado and raw collard greens might blend together. To my delight, the result was not just palatable but indulgent—reminiscent of a velvety mousse or soft ice cream.
Collard green smoothie, a nutrient-packed recipe
Base (fats and greens)
- Raw collard greens (leaves only). You can substitute with other greens like romaine, spinach, kale, or green chard, but this will alter the flavor and texture. Collard greens strike a balance in bitterness – they’re milder than kale but slightly stronger than spinach. I was pleasantly surprised by their refreshing taste.
- Filtered water
- Full-fat coconut milk (alternative milks are fine, but note that canned coconut milk tends to be creamier and thicker)
- Organic spirulina – rich in protein, for immune support and antioxidants
- Organic maca powder – energizing adaptogen
- Organic Lion’s Mane – to support memory, focus, nerve health
- Cacao nibs – for antioxidants and polyphenols
- Vital Reds – my favorite concentrated blend of polyphenols, vitamins, minerals, and probiotics, with a berry taste. It has a little stevia, which will add some sweetness to the smoothie.
- Frozen wild blueberries will add texture and sweetness, but be aware that they might lend a purple hue to your smoothie. Fresh blueberries can be used too, but cool the in the freezer before using.
- Other additions you might consider: MCT oil, fresh mint
How to make the superfood collard green smoothie
- Clean the collard greens and separate the leaves from the stems. Reserve the stems for another recipe. For the smoothie, finely chop the leaves until you have two packed cups.
- Combine all ingredients in a high-powered blender and blend until smooth. Add more water or milk to achieve your desired texture.
- Enjoy the collard green smoothie immediately for the best taste and nutrient retention.
Remember, this blend is packed with valuable nutrients. It’s best consumed fresh to fully benefit from its vibrant vitality.
Note on consistency and texture: Since this smoothie doesn’t contain any ice, is better if the ingredients are all cold, from the refrigerator, or even cooled in the freezer. Alternatively, you can add a few cubes of ice when you blend.
Collard Green Smoothie – perfect for breakfast
Enjoy this keto smoothie as breakfast or as a lunch replacement. Due to its energizing properties, I wouldn’t recommend having it late in the day.
For another healthy and refreshing smoothie, check out our Green Dream, The Plant Paradox Smoothie. Additionally, this recipe is featured in The Ultimate Lectin-Free Breakfast Guide, Recipe Round-Up. Dive in for more delicious lectin-free breakfast inspirations!
*This page contains affiliated links, which means I get a small commission if you choose to purchase something via one of my links, at no extra cost to you.
Collard Green Smoothie with Superfoods
Discover the refreshing and nourishing magic of our collard green smoothie recipe. Packed with superfoods, polyphenols, healthy fats, and vibrant flavors, this drink isn't just an energy booster—it's a taste sensation. Whether you're a smoothie aficionado or new to the blend, try this superfood green concoction!
- 1 avocado (frozen cal also be used, or cool in the freezer for one hour before using)
- 2 cups chopped collard greens leaves
- 1 cup coconut milk (or another plant milk of choice)
- 1/2 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen, best if they are frozen or super cold)
- 4 tablespoons cacao nibs (plus more for serving)
- 1 tablespoon maca powder
- 1 tablespoon spirulina
- 1 teaspoon Lion’s Mane
- 2 scoops Vital Reds
- about 2 cups cold, filtered water (I added gradually until the desired consistency, you can do the same)
Clean the collard greens and separate the leaves from the stems. Reserve the stems for another recipe. For the smoothie, finely chop the leaves until you have two packed cups.
Combine all ingredients in a high-powered blender and blend until smooth. Add more water or milk to achieve your desired texture.
Enjoy the collard green smoothie immediately for the best taste and nutrient retention.
Note on consistency and texture: Since this smoothie doesn't contain any ice, is better if the ingredients are all cold, from the refrigerator, or even cooled in the freezer. Alternatively, you can add a few cubes of ice when you blend.